Avonlea Heritage Museum displays local artifacts of pioneers who homesteaded the area in the early 1900's. It also depicts a history of the area, it's occupations and archaeological findings.

The Avonlea Heritage Museum is situated prominently at the end of Main Street, Avonlea, Saskatchewan in the former CNR Station which was built in 1912. The building was purchased from the Canadian National Railway in 1981 and has been declared a "Heritage Site".

Volunteers make up the Executive and Board of Directors who meet monthly.

The Truax St. David's Anglican Church stands at the south side of the lawn. Built in 1927, it has been restored to its original condition and also displays artifacts from other churches in the area.

The CN Baggage Wagon holds a variety of items it carried over the years - cream cans, egg crates, trunks, etc. The scale is original CN equipment and still weighs accurately.

In the other corner, one of the most important businesses, The Blacksmith Shop is depicted. The forge, anvil, stone grinder, etc. were a necessary part of the farming and ranching world. Agricultural tools of all sorts, wood lather, and many ingenious inventions are displayed near the sliding door.

Shown in this display are uniforms from WWI and WWII and some equipment used. Photos of local veterans grace the walls.

The Clayworks in the Dirt Hills provided employment for many from 1914 until its closing in 1989. Samples of brick and of the equipment used demonstrates the hard labour involved. The unique buildings and kilns still stand 8 miles west of Avonlea and are now part of a National Heritage Site.

Around the corner you'll see the ranch display fenced off with the rails on which the rancher's favourite saddle sits and the bridle hangs. Branding irons of local ranchers hang on the wall. The buffalo skull was found a few miles west of Avonlea.

Through the double doors into the freight shed, we see the NWMP barracks. Inside, the black metal bars of the cell restrained many culprits between 1912 and 1988 when it was no longer used. The mountie in his red serge was a striking , very respected man.

Also off the waiting room, the "Baggage Room" is now a replica of the Chinese Cafe. The pie cupboard, counter and swivel stools were originally in the Avonlea Cafe as was the large wooden chair in the waiting room - a favorite spot to hang out! The Old Country Store display on the left contains many items found on the shelves years ago. The scale, butcher block and paper holder were equipment from the early days of The Avonlea Trading Company.

This room was used by passengers, friends and relatives waiting for the train's arrival or departure. Temporary displays are set up here and track lighting has been installed to provide proper lighting for art displays. The old pot-bellied stove, back in its original spot, kept travellers and those waiting for the train comfortably warm. The glass display case houses Dr. Dunnet's instruments and many of his medical books. He was a very important part of the community for over 50 years. Looking in the ticket agent's window, you can visualize days of the past as depicted by local artist, Paul Geraghty.

Located off the living room, it was the work place of the station agent. The bay window allowed visibility down the track in both directions and the telegraph system could be operated at the same time. Presently the back half of the office is being used for administration and record keeping.

Pages