Around the corner you'll see the ranch display fenced off with the rails on which the rancher's favourite saddle sits and the bridle hangs. Branding irons of local ranchers hang on the wall. The buffalo skull was found a few miles west of Avonlea.

Through the double doors into the freight shed, we see the NWMP barracks. Inside, the black metal bars of the cell restrained many culprits between 1912 and 1988 when it was no longer used. The mountie in his red serge was a striking , very respected man.

Also off the waiting room, the "Baggage Room" is now a replica of the Chinese Cafe. The pie cupboard, counter and swivel stools were originally in the Avonlea Cafe as was the large wooden chair in the waiting room - a favorite spot to hang out! The Old Country Store display on the left contains many items found on the shelves years ago. The scale, butcher block and paper holder were equipment from the early days of The Avonlea Trading Company.

This room was used by passengers, friends and relatives waiting for the train's arrival or departure. Temporary displays are set up here and track lighting has been installed to provide proper lighting for art displays. The old pot-bellied stove, back in its original spot, kept travellers and those waiting for the train comfortably warm. The glass display case houses Dr. Dunnet's instruments and many of his medical books. He was a very important part of the community for over 50 years. Looking in the ticket agent's window, you can visualize days of the past as depicted by local artist, Paul Geraghty.

Located off the living room, it was the work place of the station agent. The bay window allowed visibility down the track in both directions and the telegraph system could be operated at the same time. Presently the back half of the office is being used for administration and record keeping.

This room displays a crib, a baby carriage and a doll carriage of the 1940's, a walker, playpen, and high chair. The brass 4 poster bed was popular back in the 1920's. The wooden cradle was brought to this area with settlers effects in 1917.

This room was converted from a bedroom to depict the history of a very sports-minded community. Memorabilia from local sports days past grace the walls. From curling and hockey to baseball and golf, we see an array of equipment used by many in the pursuit of enjoyment and pleasure over the years.

Up the winding stairway, the second floor originally consisted of 4 bedrooms; one was converted into a bathroom about the year 1950 - a big improvement over the path to the outhouse. The bedroom contains a bedstead from the early 1940's, the dresser and washstand date back to the more profitable 1920's. The hand made bedspread was made by one of our pioneer women and dates back to 1900. The china water pitcher and basin and the chamber pot under the bed were treasured possessions in almost every bedroom.

This room is comfortably arranged with a velour chesterfield and chair and an Axminster rug in the centre. The pump organ dates back to the early 1900's and the wind-up record player was popular in many homes in the 1920's and 30's. The telephone switchboard, used up until the change to dial in 1973, grew from 10 or 12 numbers in 1913 to over 100 by the end of its era. The telephone booth originally sat in the corner of the old cafe.

Here we see an old coal and wood range with warming oven and reservoir. The sideboard provided a work top and cupboard space for dishes, supplies and cutlery. The cupboard on the left also provided a work surface and the bins below held large supplies of sugar and flour.